Today Google’s Video site YouTube revealed the details of ‘Top 10 Most Watched Ad Videos in 2011’ .What is surprising is that the majority of YouTube’s top “ads” of 2011 (seems strange to call them that) never appeared on traditional TV at all.
Not surprisingly, the number one ad was the Volkswagen commercial The Force.t features a six-year-old dressed as Darth Vader who tries to use “the Force” on everything he sees until he thinks he succeeds flicking the lights on his dad’s VW.
Videos like T-Mobile’s Royal Wedding, itself a spoof of the JK Wedding Dance, were made for the web and made to amuse, entertain, and to be passed around, as are mini-movies like DC Shoe’s Gymkhana Four, stunts like Hot Wheel’s record jump, and Old Spice’s “Scent Vacation.”
Another Super Bow TV ad, the Chrysler “Imported from Detroit” commercial, came in as the number three most viewed ad on YouTube in 2011.
Most watched video ads of the year (eliminating music videos and trailers):
1. VW – The Force
2. T-Mobile – Royal Wedding
3. Chrysler – Imported From Detroit
4. DC Shoes – Ken Block’s Gymkhana Four: The Hollywood Megamercial
5. smartwater – Jennifer Aniston goes viral
6. Team Hot Wheels – The Yellow Driver’s World Record Jump
7. Old Spice – Scent Vacation
8. Apple – Introducing Siri on iPhone 4S
9. Samsung – Unleash Your Fingers
10. adidas – D Rose: adiZero Rose 2 The Bull