Good News for Linux Mint Users! Now, You can upgrade your Linux Mint 15 Olivia to Linux Mint 15 Petra. Yesterday, the Linux Mint has released the next version of Linux Mint 16 Petra for both Cinnamon and Mate Desktops. Mint 16 has been released after the 6 months of incremental development on top of stable and reliable technologies. This new release comes with updated software and brings refinements and new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.
Linux Mint 16 features Cinnamon 2.0, MDM 1.4, a Linux kernel 3.11 and an Ubuntu 13.10 package base.
Recommended Read: 50+ Best Linux Software Applications for All Distros! (Most Useful)
What is new in Linux Mint 16
This Latest version of Linux Mint 16 has come with many new features, Security fixes and improvement in GUI modules. Let see what’s new in this Mint 16 Petra,
- Cinnamon 2.0 – New Features, Bug fixes and lots of improvements
- Sound Effects – Plays Sound for common events like Closing windows, switching work spaces..
- Better User management – A new applet was introduced to let you easily perform session and account related tasks (leaving, switching users, disabling notifications, accessing settings…etc).
- Better Edge Tiling, Edge Snapping
- Nemo Improvements – Better MIME handling, System tray support for file operations
- USB Stick Support – USB Format tool included
- And other System improvements etc.
How to Upgrade Mint 15 Olivia to Mint 16 Petra
In this Guide, I’ll show you , how to upgrade the Mint 15 Olivia to Mint 16 Petra using apt-get command.
Before Upgrading you should consider two points,
- If all goes well and you are happy with your current version, then you don’t need to upgrade. Since each Version receives the 18 months security updates and bug fixes
- You should backup your data in your computer
How to Backup the Linux Mint
Open mintBackup from the Menu -> Administration -> Backup Tool.
Then Backup the files in a specific drive. The tool is pretty much self-explanatory. You can easily follow the Backup tool to backup date in the safe place.
Upgrade Linux Mint 15 to 16
Run the following commands to replace “raring” with “saucy” and “olivia” with “petra”. These commands will point your system to download the files from the Latest Ubuntu Distribution
$ sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/' /etc/apt/sources.list $ sudo sed -i 's/olivia/petra/' /etc/apt/sources.list $ sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list $ sudo sed -i 's/olivia/petra/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
That’s it. Now run the following commands to fully update the system to latest updates. Then Upgrade to the New release “Linux Mint 16”
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade $ sudo apt-get upgrade
During the installation, the Apt manage will ask your permission to install the new configuration. Simply Type “Y” to continue. The old configuration will be in the same directory like “.dpkg-old“. if you aren’t happy with new configuration, you can simply restore to your old configuration.
Now Your system will download the latest version files and will install the same. Once the installation is successful, Reboot the system to get the Linux Mint 16!