Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander has been released last month on 17 October 2013. This latest update has nothing new but simply follows the footsteps of its ancestor 13.04. The only new desktop feature is Smart Scopes. You know that Unity is default desktop environment for Ubuntu which has been polished for some years and one of finest interface available today.
Even though, it is not finest for some users. For those people, here I’ll show you, how to install GNOME 3.10 on Ubuntu 13.10
Wait, Before Installing GNOME, Why? Is GNOME doesn’t come with the launcher like Unity? For this Question, the answer is YES and NO. It offers much smoother and better interface than Unity to desktop. Also, the latest GNOME 3.10 offers more features,
Wayland – will enable the GNOME to fully adopt the next generation display and input technology in the future.
Enhanced System Status Area – which gives a more focused overview of your system.
Software – which provides an easy way to browse and install applications.
Many New Apps – including Maps, Notes, Music and Photos.
New geolocation features – such as automatic time zones and world clocks.
And many other features that it has already in previous versions
Install GNOME 3.8 in Ubuntu 13.04
Just follow the below steps to install GNOME 3.10 in Ubuntu Desktop
1. Open the Terminal Window, you can use the shortcut CTRL + ALT + T
2. Add the GNOME PPA repository with the command: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
3. Press the Enter key.
4. You will get a Prompt, just press the Enter again
5. After adding the new repository, you need to update the list using the command: sudo apt-get update
6. After the refresh, install GNOME desktop using the command: sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop
7.You will get a prompt to choose the default login manager. You can choose you desired one ,both will work (LightDM is the default Unity manager and GDM is the GNOME default).
8. After the installation, just close the Terminal and Reboot the system.
That’s it. The GNOME Desktop will welcome you afterwards.
Install GNOME 3.10 in Ubuntu 13.10 without Breaking Unity
Before installin the GNOME 3.10, you should do some makeovers to GNOME work properly in Ubuntu.
In Ubuntu 13.10 GNOME 3.10 has some issues, such as
- LightDM is not working properly. You probably know thatLightDM is the Display manager. So that InstallGDM which is the GNOME display manager and selectGDM when login prompt.
sudo apt-get install gdm
- Now Add the GNOME 3.10 PPAs. Like above execute the code one by one to install GNOME 3.10 in Ubuntu 13.10. The Dist upgrade will install 200+ MB data in your system. Also, read the information carefully.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-next sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- To install all GNOME apps use the following command
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-shell-extensions
- You have to remove the Ubuntu OverlayScrollbars to fix the Black shadow issues. Now the GNOMEScrollbar will function properly
sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar
That’s it. Now restart the Computer
How to Get the Old GNOME, that is Classic GNOME
In terminal, just type the following command: sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
then Logout the session and choose the GNOME fallback in the login screen. Now, you can get the Old GNOME.